MANKATO, Minn. – Motorists traveling Highway 60 in Worthington will be able to use the Highway 60/Oxford Street roundabout in Worthington starting the evening of Friday, July 2 as crews expect to have reconstruction of the roundabout completed in time for the July 4th weekend.
Crews will pause construction over the 4th of July weekend and will resume on Tuesday, July 6 to start the final stage of reconstruction on the Highway 60/County Road 35 roundabout.
The construction project includes the replacement of the roundabout center curbs, truck aprons, areas of failed pavement, and restriping.
Detours will remain in place until the end of construction, but access to businesses will be provided throughout the project. Construction is taking place in three stages, one at a time, each with its own set of detours:
Stage 1: Highway 60/I-90 roundabout – COMPLETE MAY 27
Stage 2: Highway 60/County Road 33/Oxford Street roundabout - COMPLETE JULY 2
Stage 3: Highway 60/County Road 35 roundabout
When complete in August, the redesign of the roundabout curbs to better accommodate large trucks and minimize load shift will improve motorist safety.
Hoffman Concrete, Inc. was awarded the projects with a bid of $977,441.46.
Roundabout driving tips:
· Slow down when approaching a roundabout. For multi-lane roundabouts get into the appropriate lane.
· Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.
· Yield to vehicles already in the roundabout. Merge into the traffic flow when it is safe.
· Continue through the roundabout until you reach your exit. Do not stop or pass in a roundabout.
· Exit the roundabout immediately if an emergency vehicle approaches, and then pull over. Do not stop in the roundabout.
· Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk when exiting the roundabout.
· Give large trucks extra space in a roundabout. Large trucks may straddle both lanes while driving through a multi-lane roundabout.
For more information on roundabouts visit: www.dot.state.mn.us/roundabouts/
For current project information and detour maps, visit https://www.dot.state.mn.us/d7/projects/hwy60worthington-rab/index.html. For more information on 2021 construction projects in southwest and south central Minnesota visit www.mndot.gov/d7/projects.html