The Worthington Fire Department responded to a pair of fire calls over the weekend.
Firefighters were dispatched at 12:19 p.m. Saturday to the 600 block of Strait Avenue for a house fire. Second Assistant Fire Chief Dan Probst said the home’s residents were able to get out safely, and that the fire was confined to one room in the ceiling. Probst said the fire is believed to have been electrical in nature, and that the fire marshal was to be at the residence on Monday. Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour and a half.
On Sunday, the Worthington Fire Department was responded at about 4 a.m. to a fire at an old granary on Paul Avenue, Probst said. The building was a total loss, and Probst added that it was “pretty much down” by the time firefighters arrived. Firefighters were on the scene for around two and a half moving tin to cool down embers and keep the fire from spreading further.
Probst reminds people to scoop snow away from fire hydrants so they remain accessible throughout the winter. He also urged people to use any space heaters safely, including plugging cords directly into an outlet instead of using an extension cord.