The Community Foundation of Osceola County (CFOC) has awarded grants totaling $127,300.19 to 32 organizations and communities throughout Osceola County
Since the Community Foundation of Osceola County was established, nearly $1.5 million has been granted to assist with a wide range of projects in the county. A total of 434 grants have been given out over the 17 years.
For the 2021-2022 grant cycle, 32 organizations received total or partial funding:
1. May City Fire Department, $5,000 for bunker gear 2. City of Ocheyedan, $5,000 for new alert siren 3. Sibley Fire Department, $5,000 for thermal imaging camera 4. Ashton Fire Department, $5,000 for self-contained breathing apparatus
5. Ashton Town and Country Club, $5,000 for Snack Shack expansion 6. Sibley Parks and Rec, $5,000 for Central Park ball diamond dugout benches/fence
7. Melvin American Legion Post 470, $5,000 for veteran tribute 8. Melvin Fire Department, $5,000 to replace gear
9. Ocheyedan Senior Activity Center, $5,000 for updates Updating the Ocheyedan 10. Tracy House, $5,000 for preservation/building exteriors and concrete pad
11. Ashton Community Center, $5,000 for sound system and surveillance 12. Girl Scouts, $5,000 for updates to Sibley Legion building
13. Osceola County Conservation, $5,000 for upgrades to Ashton Wayside/Melvin DeGraaf Parks
14. Sibley-Ocheyedan Science Club, $4,500 for S-O Discovery Gardens outdoor classroom expansion
15. Hawkeye Point, $5,000 for campground concrete pads
16. Osceola County Sheriff's Office, $3,750 for light bars for patrol vehicles
17. VFW Post 7373, $3,750 for new refrigerators and freezers
18. American Legion Post 290, $3,750 for S-O High School gym descending U.S. flag 19. Sibley Public Library, $3,750 for community space for a gathering place 20. Osceola County Livestock Show, $3,750 for Memorial Park for past, present and future supports of the Osceola County Fair 21. Deboer Grocery Museum, $3,750 for grounds renovation (phase 2) 22. S-O Band Boosters, $3,750 for S-O band trailer 23. Melvin American Legion Auxiliary, $3,750 to replace ramp and new flag box
24. New Beginnings, $3,750 for flooring 25. McCallum Museum/Brunson Heritage House, $3,750 for sesquicentennial street pole banners for downtown/farm shed fundraising information sign
26. Ocheyedan Town Hall Renovation Committee, $3,727.50 for Town hall exterior cleaning project
27. Friends of the Sibley Public Library, $3,375 for adaptable activity tables for active youths
28. Ashton Public Library, $2,500 for improvement and upgrade of current lighting
29. Osceola County Freedom Rock, $1,865 for description plaques 30. Melvin 313 Club, $1,992.19 for solar lights for new City of Melvin sign
31. Osceola County Emergency Management, $1,268 for oil absorbent booms
32. Foster Grandparent Program of Greater Siouxland, $562.50 for grandparent volunteer service support
The CFOC is an affiliate of the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines that provides grant-making guidance and administrative support. The Community Foundation of Osceola County board includes representatives from all over the county.
The current board is comprised of: Ashton -- Brian Mino and Dan Grote; Harris -- Amy Muftah and Wayne Boyer; Melvin -- Kay Wynja and Sarah McCarter; Ocheyedan -- Joe McElroy and Kevin Hertz; Sibley -- Lila Hatting and Jerry Johnson; Osceola County -- Ed Jones and Jayson VandeHoef.
Ex-offico members are Nathan Rockman and Stephanie Neppl.