top of page

Saturday fire leaves Sibley residents homeless

A Sibley home was destroyed by a fire that took place over Memorial Day weekend.

 

The Sibley Fire Department was dispatched at about 4:20 p.m. Saturday to a house fire at 525 Fourth Ave. in Sibley. Firefighters observed flames extending out of the southwest entrance door as they approached the scene. They made an interior attack and knocked down the fire, but it was too late, as the house was gutted.


One firefighter was transported to Osceola Community Hospital in Sibley with chest pains and exhaustion. Four dogs and several cats were also lost in the blaze. Sibley Fire Chief Ken Huls reported that the cause of the fire appeared to be a surge protector in the kitchen. He added that while the home doesn’t show too many exterior signs of damage, the interior is totaled.


Firefighters from the Ashton, Little Rock, and Ocheyedan fire departments provided mutual aid assistance. About 30 firefighters who responded were on the scene for about two hours.  


The American Red Cross was contacted to help the family that lived in the home, as they lost all their belongings in the fire. Donations to help the family can be left with the Sibley United Methodist Church. Monetary or grocery donations may be left at Sibley SuperFoods.


 

649 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page