Small grease fire causes evacuation at Bluejay Villas

10:40 p.m. UPDATE from Minnesota West:

"In close collaboration with the Bluejay Villas management, accommodations for our students have been made for the evening.  The college staff are assisting students with their transition for the evening and will provide transportation options in the morning.  We will continue to work with our residential partner is assuring our students have safe and reasonable accommodations during this event.   

Students will be receiving updates from the Bluejay Villas management team via their email protocol and students may also call the Bluejay Villas at 507-360-0902."  

WORTHINGTON - A statement from Minnesota West Community &Technical College President Terry Gaalswyk  Monday evening states students were evacuated from The Bluejay Villas after a small grease fire in one of the residential units.

The college received reports of the fire at 6:45 p.m., and the Worthington Fire Department responded to extinguish the small blaze.

According to Gaalswyk, no students were injured, , and staff was working with students, escorting them to their rooms for necessary items, and bringing them to the Health & Wellness building so they have access to facilities and dinner.

Water restoration, clean up and extinguisher recharges will be completed prior to students being able to go back in.   As of 8:30 p.m., Gaalswyk stated they were hopeful students  will be able to return to their rooms this evening after service is restored and the affected areas mitigated for water.

Leave Us a Comment!

Be the first to comment on this post!

Leave Us a Comment!

Captcha Image