June 21 news

WORTHINGTON - According to Nobles County Attorney Kathy Kusz, 19-year-old Blue Thyboualoy died of peritonitis and renal failure hours after being stabbed in the abdomen by Chim LoVan during an altercation a year ago. Kusz said Thyboualoy coded at the hospital and could not be revived.

LoVan's trial began Monday in Nobles County District Court, and during opening statements Kusz told the jury they would hear LoVan's interviews with law enforcement when he admitted he was angry, upset and yelling over a racial slur. Later his story would change, she said, so that he was not pushing on the door of the victim's home and was barely upset.

Thyboualoy died June 19 in the evening hours after allegedly being stabbed by LoVan, whom he identified to law enforcement as Monkey, a known alias. According to a statement made to law enforcement around 5:30 p.m., Monkey stabbed him around 3 a.m. Thyboualoy did not seek medical services until 14 hours later.

Defense attorney Michael Hanson told the jury that yes, LoVan did go to Thyboualoy's home, and yes, they argued after Thyboualoy called him a racial slur. But there was no assault and no stabbing. There is a witness who says he never saw a knife, and no knife was ever found, Hanson stated. When you get right down to it, Hanson pointed out, the state could not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

LoVan is facing second-degree murder, second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon, third-degree murder and two counts of first-degree manslaughter.

Testimony on Monday began with the first officer on the scene, Worthington Police Officer Colby Palmersheim, who said he found Thyboualoy in the basement curled in the fetal position. The victim told him Monkey had come over and tried to come in the door, then stabbed him. Palmersheim said Thyboualoy did not seem hesitant or confused during their conversation, and did not appear to be under the influence of methamphetamine.

While searching the bedroom area for a knife, Palmersheim did find a meth pipe and a baggie of meth.

Robby Vargas, a trained EMT and paramedic, also took the stand and testified that Thyboualoy described the knife used to stab him while being questioned about what had happened. Vargas said a description of the 3 to 5 inch knife was important medically as the emergency personnel determined the extent of the injuries.

Worthington Police Sgt. Brett Wiltrout also testified, stating he contacted LoVan, who was known to him from previous contact, speaking to him first by phone, then in person. He had advised him over the phone of the assault accusation, which LoVan denied. LoVan claimed Thyboualoy called him a racial slur, and that he had a witness.

Wiltrout said at the time of LoVan's arrest, he had no cuts or bruises, no blood on his person and no weapon or knife.

Testimony continues today.

WORTHINGTON - Two weeks ago, District 518 hosted a meeting to discuss the master plan for the facilities proposed on the new property just south of the Worthington Middle School. Although plenty of people are talking about the upcoming $75 million referendum, there were less than 40 people at the meeting, and about half of those were administration and staff.

Tonight is a second chance to attend a meeting, listen to the master plan, ask questions and let your opinion be heard. A master plan discussion will take place in the band room of the Worthington High School at 7 p.m.

WORTHINGTON - An important reminder, The All-American Blood Drive will be from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Ground Round, 1290 Ryan’s Road. The blood drive, sponsored by Sanford Worthington, Radio Works, the Daily Globe and the Ground Round, comes at a time when the blood supply is low. All who donate will receive a commemorative All-American Blood Drive T-shirt, as well as a food voucher compliments of Ground Round.

The drive will directly help the supply of blood products at Sanford Worthington Medical Center, and all blood types are needed. Donors must be at least 17 years of age (16 with a signed parent consent form), weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good general health the day of the blood drive. All donors must have a form of identification. For more information, log on to cbblifeblood.org; or call Ground Round, 376-3043. Walk-ins are welcome.

IRETON, Iowa — A rural Ireton man is dead after an accident outside a home on Saturday.
The Sioux County Sheriff’s Office reports that 49-year-old Christopher Soppe of Ireton was struck by a tree branch from a tree he was cutting down before 3 PM at a home on 510th Street, five and a half miles southeast of Ireton.

The Ireton Ambulance took Soppe to the Floyd Valley Hospital in Le Mars, where he died from his injuries.

The Sheriff’s Office says the Ireton Fire Department, Ireton Ambulance and the Plymouth County Sheriff’s Office assisted them.

SUPERIOR, Iowa - A fire west of Superior on Sunday destroyed a shed, but firefighter were able to stop it from spreading to a nearby home.

The fire was located on Highways 9 and 71 about a half mile west of t he Jackson Y, according to Superior Fire Chief Kevin Swalve. He said the shed had burned to the ground upon their arrival on the scene. Spirit Lake Fire Department was called for mutual aid, and efforts were turned toward keeping the fire away from a nearby house.

No equipment or vehicles were in the shed. Firefighters were on the scene for 2 1/ hours. Swalve says the cause of the fire is under investigation.

MINNESOTA - A man who died during the northern Minnesota storms on Sunday night has been identified as the brother of Congressman Tim Walz. Craig Walz, age 43, was killed while camping in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. The Cook County Sheriff's Office says Craig Walz and his teenage son were camping at Duncan Lake for Father's Day when the storm began. Powerful winds knocked a tree onto their tent.          

Craig Walz's son was also severely injured in the incident, taken to a hospital and later airlifted to Duluth. As of 3 p.m. Monday, he is in critical condition. The pair was also camping with another man and his son.

Craig Walz was a high school chemistry, calculus and geometry teacher at St. Charles High School. He was also the high school’s Math League adviser.

HIBBING - A jury has acquitted a Hibbing priest accused of molesting four girls.

Jurors deliberated about two hours Monday before finding 30-year-old Brian Lederer not guilty on all counts.

Lederer was facing four counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, all felonies.

The alleged incidents happened during the 2014-2015 school year after hours at Assumption Catholic School. Prosecutors said another incident happened at a home and others on a school bus.

Lederer took the witness stand Friday to deny the allegations. The Hibbing Daily Tribune reports he had no comment after his acquittal.

Defense attorney Peter Wold said the jury reached the right verdict given the evidence. Prosecutor Jeff Vlatkovich called the verdict disappointing, and praised the girls for testifying.

Leave Us a Comment!

Be the first to comment on this post!

Leave Us a Comment!

Captcha Image